118. 5 Subtle Ways the demons of Our Past are Controlling Us
We all live through difficult and painful experiences in our lives. Some experiences are far worse than others. They shape our lives. They also make us captive if we dwell on them.
Crosswalk.com, August 2019, listed 5 subtle ways the demons of our past can control us.
1. You focus on what has been done to you. Reliving and re-experiencing what was done keeps it alive in your mind. Repeating events, hurts, and other markers crushes your spirit and make you captive to the past. When you begin to see yourself as an overcomer who persevered through the past horror with resilience, then you can begin to move ahead
2. You focus on what you have done. 1 John 1:9 states "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive our sins and to cleanse us from ALL unrighteousness." Focusing on your past mistakes brings forth shame and guilt. Guilt can turn to bitterness and resentment
3. You rely on conditioned coping mechanisms. It's important to focus on healthy ways to cope. Allow God to take over, release responsibility to the person affected and create boundaries within yourself. God is God and you and I are not. Your work is to realign your life and give the task to others to do the same. Trust the process through Him
4. You try to overcome and heal in your own strength. You think you can recover on your own and then you stumble. You try again and repeat the same. It's demoralizing. History is being repeated again; holding onto the past damages your current relationships. Let it go
5. You set up idols to replace God. Idols can be movie stars, sport figures, money, sex, pornography, technology. Idols give empty promises. The new Iphone offers very temporary satisfaction. Will you stand firm as you abide in Him or fall down with the wind?
The past is your past. How you deal with your past will enhance or alter your life. The choice is fully and absolutely yours to make.
Please mark "like" is you liked this post, contact for counselling and share freely. Blessings!